Whether you’re already a working personal assistant, or aspiring to be one, your career can benefit from a number of qualifications and certificates. Several organisations offer specific PA courses catered…
We are living in a digital world, with laptops, smartphones, tablets and other devices now an integral part of our daily lives and work.
Businesses around the world have become increasingly digitalised, even traditional brick-and-mortar companies are now opting to market their business online. With all the benefits of digital marketing for businesses, this is no surprise.
Just some of these benefits include:
- Cost effectiveness: Digital marketing methods are less expensive than traditional marketing
- Targeting: Reach niche audiences in a measurable way
- Lack of geographical boundaries: Target audiences anywhere in the world
- ROI: Generate a consistent lead pipeline and higher conversion rates
- Measure: Analyse data to determine if campaigns are yielding the desired results
The future of digital marketing is bright
The digital transformation of business has led to a steep rise in demand for marketing professionals who are well versed in the digital marketing arena. Graduates and those looking for a career change are attracted to this exciting and fast-growing career path because it’s a dynamic field that is constantly evolving.
There are currently over 22000 digital marketing jobs for the UK listed on LinkedIn. And recent LinkedIn data shows that the digital marketing sector continues to soar in popularity. Thus, if you are looking for jobs in this field, you can rest assured that there will be plenty of opportunities available to you.
Is digital marketing a dream job?
Whilst digital marketing is an exhilarating and rewarding career, it also comes with a set of challenges that you need to be prepared for if you are seriously considering this route. To successfully navigate the fast-changing digital marketing landscape, you’ll need to equip yourself with a myriad of skills and continue to improve your knowledge on an ongoing basis. Top digital marketers are always learning and upskilling to ensure they remain competitive and keep on top of emerging trends.
Pros of a career in digital marketing:
- You can earn a healthy income
- It’s a fast paced and exciting career route that will keep you on your toes
- It offers unlimited opportunities for personal and professional growth
- You’ll have the opportunity to work with an interesting mix of people and businesses
- Feeling bold? You could take the plunge and set up your own digital marketing agency
- You’ll be free to tap into your potential and use it to drive your success
- As long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in the world
- The balance of tasks allows you to be creative in your work as well as review tangible analytical trends
- The broad landscape of digital marketing gives you many different avenues and outlets
- You’ll have the chance to build a thriving career that will last the test of time
- You’ll never be bored!
Cons of a career in digital marketing:
- Continual learning and keeping on top of rapidly changing trends is hard work
- You may not always see the results you were hoping for
- If you find yourself in a niche that isn’t the best fit for you, it may be challenging to pivot
- You’ll spend long days sitting in front of a screen, which could cause tension over time
- Digital marketing is a demanding and multifaceted career that requires discipline and focus
- You may struggle to formulate successful campaigns, generate traffic and drive conversions, even if you think you’re doing all the right things
- Running your own digital marketing business may be harder than you think
- You may work with clients who have unrealistic expectations, creating additional pressure
If you do decide to go down this route, thorough preparation will increase your chances of success. Start by brushing up on or developing some of the key skills that are required to be an accomplished digital marketer.
Just a few of the top skills that will help to skyrocket your career in digital marketing are:
Are you aware that YouTube is the 2nd largest online platform after Google? Businesses who are embracing video marketing are benefiting from more traction, increased brand awareness, more traffic and more sales. Whilst you don’t need to know everything about video production to succeed as a digital marketer, the stronger you are in this area the better.
As of January 2022, there were 4.62 billion social media users around the world. A social media presence is vital for businesses who want to maximise exposure for their brand, attract and retain the attention of their audience, and generate more business. Social media offers an incredible opportunity to better understand and build relationships with customers anywhere in the world. Most importantly, it’s free! Savvy digital marketers use engaging social media content to attract and convert audiences organically and analyse campaign data to determine what’s working and what’s not.
To succeed as a digital marketer, you’ll need to create content that engages your audience and persuades them to take a specific form of action that ultimately leads to a conversion or sale. With as many as 350,000 tweets going out every minute, catchy, compelling content is vital to stand out in a saturated digital market. And while the amount of content being shared online is increasing, the attention spans of people are shortening. So, you’ll need to compress information into digestible bites while still conveying the right message and without losing the ability to capture their attention.
Search engine optimisation (SEO)
Search Engine Optimisation is crucial in all aspects of digital marketing, so if you can demonstrate a solid knowledge of the dynamics of SEO, you’ll be ahead of the game. The organisation for whom you work may assign the technical side to a specialist SEO team, but if you have expertise in this area you can apply it to ensure you are producing optimised content that will drive successful campaigns.
PPC, or pay-per-click advertising, helps businesses to expand their reach by showing up in top spots online, and they only pay when a visitor clicks on their ad. Digital marketers drive performance by paying attention to the relevance and quality of the ad, determining which keywords to target, and the best format and channel. This requires a creative flair, polished analytical skills and an in depth understanding of the business, their goals and customer intents.
Analytics and data analysis
If you want to be a successful digital marketer, you’ll need to use data to verify, understand and quantify the degree to which the efforts of your campaigns are paying off. You’ll need to be able to interpret the data into real, actionable insights which can then be used to inform important business decisions and shape core campaign strategies. Data analysis highlights what’s working and makes it clear where efforts need to be focused.
To further elevate your digital career, learn how to harness the power of email marketing to build relationships with customers. A seasoned digital marketer can create campaigns that nurture subscribers and existing leads through newsletters. They create powerful experiences for their audience, tapping into their emotions and inspiring them to take action.
You’ll find countless digital marketing courses on sites such as Udemy, Lynda, Coursera, Edx, Hubspot and Alison. We also recommend taking a look at our partner New Skills Academy, who are offering course discounts of up to 65%.
If you’re interested in discovering how our consultants could help you find your first or next dream role in digital marketing, please contact us here.