To say that being a personal assistant to a private individual is demanding would be an absolute understatement! As an exclusive household staffing agency, we understand that supporting a principal in their private life can mean that you’re on call at all hours of the day and must sometimes do the impossible. If you want
A CV is the most important document you can produce in the hunt for a job, especially in the private support sector. It is a principal’s first impression of you and your experience, so has to be the very best representation of your skillset. However, with limited time to impress – research shows that a hirer will spend just 30 seconds reading your CV – there are plenty of things you can do to ensure it stays top of the pile.
There are some general rules that all CVs should follow, regardless of industry:
- A CV should be two pages, three if you have decades of experience
- It should be written in size 12 and have a clear and consistent font throughout
- The design should be clear, easy to follow and with no photo
- Use bullet points to describe your employment history as it is easier to scan through
- The format should be consistent, with the same design, font and layout throughout
- A CV should be modified to the role you’re applying for – for example, if you are applying for a housekeeper/cook role, emphasise your experience in these areas
- It should always be sent as a Microsoft Word document
It’s also worth remembering that in the family office and private household recruitment process, you may undergo an entire interview process with a PA or chief of staff before the principal gets involved. This makes your CV twice as important, as it can make or break your chances – after the interview process!
In order to help with your job hunt, we’ve mocked up a sample to show how a great private CV looks.
Looking for a role in a private household? Tiger Private can help. Get in touch today.